For years I’ve been getting emails almost daily asking, “Isn’t there a book of the strategies themselves?” Now there is.
Strategies make the often invisible work of reading actionable and visible. In The Reading Strategies Book, I collected 300 strategies to share with readers in support of thirteen goals-everything from fluency to literary analysis. Each strategy is cross-linked to skills, genres, and Fountas & Pinnell reading levels to give you just-right teaching, just in time. With this book you’ll:
- develop goals for every reader
- give students step-by-step strategies for skilled reading
- guide readers with prompts aligned to the strategies
- adjust instruction to meet individual needs with Jen’s Teaching Tips
- craft demonstrations and explanations with her Lesson Language
- learn more with Hat Tips to the work of influential teacher-authors.
Whether you use readers workshop, Daily 5/CAFE, guided reading, balanced reading, a core reading program, whole-class novels, or any other approach, The Reading Strategies Book will complement and extend your teaching. Rely on it to plan and implement goal-directed, differentiated instruction for individuals, small groups, and whole classes.
“We offer strategies to readers to put the work in doable terms for those who are still practicing,” writes Jen Serravallo. “The goal is not that they can do the steps of the strategy but that they become more comfortable and competent with a new skill.” With The Reading Strategies Book, you’ll have ways to help your readers make progress every day.